[fedora-java] Q: How to locally maven-install a fedora maven-based package?

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 09:04:11 UTC 2015

On 08/04/15 10:17, Michal Srb wrote:
> Hi Alec,

Hi! Thanks for taking time to reply.

> On 04/08/2015 09:22 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:

>> All this metadata (groupId, artifactId, etc.) is available in the
>> /usr/share/maven-metadata/app.xml file. So, my question: is there any
>> tool which parses app.xml and installs the jar file to the local maven
>> repository?
>>
>> Or have I just got it wrong, and there is another much more elegant
>> way to make system jar files available to the local maven?
>>

> You can call "xmvn" instead of "mvn" and it will first try to use system
> jars.

I take this answer as "No, there is no such tool" (?)

> Only artifacts not available on your system will be downloaded
> from Maven Central. It's important to note that "xmvn" ignores artifact
> versions. It will first try to find exact version, but if it's not
> available, it will look for any other version of given artifact.

Which IMHO makes perfect sense when working downstream (i. e.,
packaging) but isn't really sane while doing upstream developing which
requires exact version matching.

> As you can see, development against system jars can be a bit
> problematic. That's because "system" jars are not really meant to be
> used for development (IMO). We usually package jars into RPMs, because
> some Java application needs them at runtime/compile time.

Still, I have some jars which are available in fedora packages but not
in maven central. Which means that the reasonable way is to install
(fedora-wise) the package and then maven-install the packaged jar into
the maven repository to make them available as dependencies. Or?

Cheers!

--alec