Konqueror and Gmail

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 2 08:56:09 UTC 2010

Thomas Janssen wrote:
> Oh, by the way, i guess because kmail (or a full featured email
> client) is that awesome to use, is the reason why you use something
> different to answer that threads. What was it again, Knode and gmane?

Because I use POP for my e-mail, not IMAP. I like my mail being downloaded
to my local machine rather than being dependent on some server. But of
course that doesn't scale to a mailing list!

I also use different threading settings in KMail (personal mail) vs. KNode
(mailing lists): I set my personal mail to unthreaded so I always have the
newest messages at the bottom and normally read them in order (and
immediately read mail as it comes in, I have a sound alert configured to
tell me about that), whereas I set the "newsgroups" (mailing lists gatewayed
through Gmane, really) to threaded and read them thread by thread when I
have time.

And finally, IMHO NNTP is just a better solution for mailing lists than
traditional mail delivery. The whole concept of mailing lists is primitive:
Why forward the whole discussion to everyone rather than just letting people
poll the shared server directly? And KDE offers a dedicated tool for NNTP,
so why not use it?

        Kevin Kofler