RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 9 05:55:49 UTC 2010

For the most part, I don't think the proposal will make much of a difference.
The problem lies mostly with development practices over at KDE and not
necessarily with the KDE packaging team at Fedora.

What really needs to happen, in my humble opinion, is that the packaging team
needs to get together with the packaging team from the other distros and
simply refuse to even consider package for testing until the current array of
application bugs get fixed and that the QA upstream improves. There is no good
reason why packaging teams need to take the flack for bad code.

While getting the eye candy to work is a nice added bonus, if we can't work
with applications like Konqueror or the required Akonadi and are forced to
(even on a temporary bases) too use non KDE apps then whats the point of KDE.
Please do not misunderstand this as a call to dump, on the contrary, that most
of the stuff in KDE works and that many of the added features make a big
difference to the usability of KDE and indicates a great deal of skill and
quality of code is amazing and worthy of respect and accolades. However, when
something breaks, it really is very noticable. Its important for the
developers to realize that people are relying on KDE and KDE apps to get
things dones for work and pleasure otherwise. Otherwise the User will simply
use something else.

Eli

On Monday 08 March 2010 16:26:30 Rex Dieter wrote:
> One more call for discussion around another proposal that came out of
> FUDCon Toronto.  Short version of this is that we'd consider slowing down
> updates a step, esp for the second half of a fedora release's lifetime,
> and to limit kde 4.x-type upgrades to at most 1 per release.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Stability_Proposal
>

> Whatever we decide, increasing our transparency by documenting our update
> practices will hopefully help shape everyone''s plans and expectations.  As
> it is, seems these vary wildly.
>
> -- Rex

believed to be clean.