RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Mar 11 11:06:48 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 23:33:20 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > It's not only about stability as crashes, regression etc. but also about
> > stability in terms of same UI.
>
> This is not something we want or can deliver in Fedora.
>
> It's not like the UIs are radically changing. From one KDE release series
> to the next, they're vastly the same.
>
> > So yes - if we can deliver working crash/regression stable update to F12,
> > we can for sure do the same for F11. But for some people even small UI
> > changes are big changes. You would probably argue that RHEL/CentOS is for
> > these users but it's not actually true - these distros are not very well
> > suited for desktop usage (hw support is big issue for example). And
> > Ubuntu is just crap ;-)
>
> But those distros are really the only good option.
>
> Using the previous stable Fedora is not a viable solution for these people.
> It only has 7 months of support as "previous stable". That means that to
> always be on "previous stable", you have to upgrade twice a year. There
> goes the "UI stability". So trying to target the previous stable release
> at those people is a losing proposition anyway. Those folks need something
> with a lot more than 7 months of support.

That's the conflict in others proposal - they want conservative updates that
breaks every 6 month (and 1 year max) by really big changes... Our changes
while we're updating are not so terrible :( "Previous stable" needs prolonged
support for this release (but it's out of scope of KDE SIG - that's why I'd
like to have it done on whole disto basis).

Jaroslav