kde focus stealing

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:04:30 UTC 2011

I'm running kde (4.7.3 on F16 currently). I have 6 desktops in 2 rows
of 3I have different applications configured to start on different
desktops, so the web browser will be on one, office apps on another,
mail client on another, with other applications (e.g konsole) able to
start anywhere. I don't want the desktop to switch when an application
is mapped, but I do want newly mapped applications to appear at the
top layer, at least for the current desktop and ideally for all.

is this possible? and if so how?

With older versions of kde (on F14 for example), I could make the
desktop not switch by setting focus stealing prevention to either high
or extreme, but this would often result in new windows appearing in
layers below the current one. And of course it's possible that the
combination of settings i have is making things worse.

I'd have thought this was a reasonably common way of working, so I'm
sure there must be a way.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris