rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:39:42 UTC 2011

On Thursday 03 February 2011 09:06:16 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> I think the first step will be to run the rsync command locally, without
> ssh and use the NFS share as destination with an ordinary user (i.e.
> anne). If this is working you can try to invoke ssh (if necessary).

This is basically how I've tried to do it - I got rid of everything except
this line -

rsync --exclude-from=/home/anne/bup-data_exclude.txt -auvzr /home/anne/*
/mnt/server_home/anne/

I don't think it comes much simpler than that, but I still hit the problem of
freezing, and so far nothing has given me a clue what's causing it.

I run this as anne - both when I run it in the script, and when testing by
simply running it in konsole.  I own the directories to which it needs to
write.  Yesterday I carefully changed everything in the backup back from being
owned by nobody to being owned by me.  I still see all the chgrp "operation
not permitted" messages, but now it doesn't show me any files at all - it
looks as though it stops earlier than it did.

Time to reboot, since neither konsole nor file managers (or kwrite/kdate) are
available to me.