rsync causing disk sleeps and loss of apps

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Thu Feb 3 13:04:29 UTC 2011

Am 03.02.2011 13:39, schrieb Anne Wilson:
> On Thursday 03 February 2011 09:06:16 Martin (KDE) wrote:
>> I think the first step will be to run the rsync command locally, without
>> ssh and use the NFS share as destination with an ordinary user (i.e.
>> anne). If this is working you can try to invoke ssh (if necessary).
>
> This is basically how I've tried to do it - I got rid of everything except
> this line -
>
> rsync --exclude-from=/home/anne/bup-data_exclude.txt -auvzr /home/anne/*
> /mnt/server_home/anne/

The -z parameter does not make any sense if you copy locally. Can you
try this with --dry-run and -av as parameter? (You don't need -r if you
set -a)

What happens if you try this from the console without kde running? Are
there any files opened from /mnt/server_home/anne in your running
programs (lsof | grep server_home)? What do the logfiles say
(/var/log/messages or dmesg)?

I have a similar solution but I use a script started from startkde at
login before starting the kde environment (from .kde/env) and at logoff
(from .kde/shutdown). But I use kerberos as SingleSignOn and with this I
don't have the problem with the ssh-keys. At logon I sync from the
server to the client and at logout the other way around. So I take care
that there is no kde process running at sync time.

Martin