Packagers of plasmoids (Plasma applets): please run plasma-dataengine-depextractor in %build

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Nov 9 23:17:36 UTC 2012

Rex Dieter wrote:
> This feels more like a "patch" operation to me, so wouldn't putting this
> in %prep (rather than %build) somewhere make more sense?

Uh, you're right, putting it in %prep makes sense. For some reason, when I
wrote this, I was thinking somehow that using the tools from our
BuildRequires (kdelibs4-devel) in %prep isn't such a good thing, but now
that I think of it, why not? There are also other packages using custom
BuildRequired tools in %prep (decompressors, sed-like tools, scripting
languages etc.), so this isn't all that different. And this is indeed a
patch-like operation.

> Thinking a bit more... would it be too evil to macro'ize this somehow, say
> hook into %cmake_kde for example, to operate automatically on all
> metadata.desktop files found in $RPM_BUILD_DIR ?

Interesting idea. But not all packages use metadata.desktop, especially the
native plasmoids sometimes use other file names.

        Kevin Kofler