Qt5 plan

Sonic get.sonic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:18:43 UTC 2012

On 09/23/2012 10:04 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Sonic wrote:
>>     Just asking out of curiosity. When Qt5 is released, what will be our
>> packaging plan? Will Qt4 and Qt5 co-exist as Qt3/Qt4 do now?
> Yes, of course. They are binary-incompatible and to some extent source-
> incompatible, so we cannot expect all software to instantly use the new
> Qt 5, thus a compatibility package will be maintained, as for Qt 3 (as long
> as it is needed, possibly "forever"). You will be able to have Qt 3, 4 and 5
> installed all at the same time. (I still have no plans to drop Qt 3. Even if
> the other maintainers resign, I'll pick it up.)

So, I guess we will have a parallel installation of Qt5 with tools like
"qmake-qt5" etc. That's good news for me.
Has anyone tried packaging Qt5 beta for a parallel set-up with Qt4?

On a related note, any concrete ideas on the version of KDE that'd come
with RHEl 7?

We use RHEL 5.3 at work for many mission critical workstations. We are
quite agnostic to changes and haven't adopted RHEL6. But some recent PC
hardware are making us use RHEL6 on some less important installations.
In 2013 or 2014, when RHEL7 is released, I was curious if we'll have a
good version of KDE to go with it. RHEL6 came with a very shabby KDE
4.3, (and without KDevelop).
Perhaps I can port my applications to Qt5 (and incidentally Qwt 6.x)
along with adoption of RHEL 7.

What do you think?

regards,

Syam