Qt5 plan

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Sep 28 20:11:18 UTC 2012

Sonic wrote:
> So, I guess we will have a parallel installation of Qt5 with tools like
> "qmake-qt5" etc. That's good news for me.

Yes, that's the plan.

> Has anyone tried packaging Qt5 beta for a parallel set-up with Qt4?

Not yet, we're waiting on whether upstream reacts to our requests to make it
easier to support parallel installation. We'd like to avoid distro-specific
hacks to the extent possible.

> On a related note, any concrete ideas on the version of KDE that'd come
> with RHEl 7?

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on that because I just plain don't know (in
fact I don't even know whether a decision has been made yet), and those who
do know are probably not allowed to tell you either.

What I can tell you is that it's unlikely to be a 5.x version because
upstream development on a kde-workspace 5.x hasn't started at all yet. But
the amount of support, if any, which will be given to Qt 5 and KDE
Frameworks 5 is also something I don't know anything about.

        Kevin Kofler