Stopping kscreen service starting

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 17 16:06:45 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-17 12:31 (GMT) Roderick Johnstone composed:

> I need to stop the kscreen kded module running for all my users becuase
> it interacts badly with x2go.

> I've achieved this by making a file /etc/kde/kdedrc with contents:

> [Module-kscreen]
> autoload=false

> This seems to work fine for the first login of x2go. (I'm using a new
> testing account). I confirmed that the kscreen service in system
> settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Service manager shows kscreen2 not
> running.

> However, the Use checkbox is ticked for the kscreen2 service, and on the
> next login the kscreen2 service is running and messing up my x2go session.

> ~/.kde/share/config/kdedrc now contains:

> [$Version]
> update_info=kded.upd:kde3.0

> [Module-kscreen]
> autoload=true

> [Module-randrmonitor]
> autoload=false

> Can anyone explain please why the kscreen2 service is being switched
> back on and how I can prevent this from happening?

It's not always easy figuring out where global KDE config changes belong.
Moving your /etc/kde/kdedrc to /etc/kde/share/config/kdedrc should work.
Manually changing to autoload=false in individual users' kdedrc files should
work too if you do it while KDE is not running. I would expect chmod a-x
/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/kscreen to work as well, but haven't tried it.

If you can't get autoload=false to stick, file an upstream bug and set owner
to afiestas at kde.org

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/