Stepping down from KDE SIG

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Thu Oct 29 16:52:18 UTC 2015

Man, that sucks.  KDE is the only GUI I use.  Unity in Ubuntu sucks and
GNOME in general sucks. I can't imagine Linux life without KDE.  The fedora
dens need to stop being fucking idiots and realize KDE is a big part of
their user base.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:

> Hi, Kevin
> On Qui, 2015-10-29 at 17:00 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > - the Fedora 23 KDE Spin (which is now final or almost final) is
> > easily the
> >     worst KDE Spin we have ever released:
> >     . Firefox, a non-KDE and even non-Qt application, is the default
> > browser. It
> >       does not integrate into the Plasma desktop in any way.
> >     . Due to an oversight, DrKonqi is missing, and thus ABRT (another
> > non-KDE
> >       application) is the default crash handler. ABRT reports all the
> > crashes to
> >       us downstream packagers instead of upstream where the crash
> > reports
> >       belong. And experience has shown that the ABRT fire&forget
> > reporters are
> >       unwilling to upstream the bug reports manually, if they even
> > read our
> >       replies at all (and that's if we even manage to reply to all the
> > bugs to
> >       begin with).
> >     Both of these are complete no-gos where I have said from day one
> > that those
> >     are not acceptable. The Firefox fiasco was a deliberate decision,
> > the ABRT
> >     fiasco could have been avoided if DrKonqi had not been made
> > optional against
> >     my recommendation, and/or if people had actually tested that the
> > KDE Spin
> >     uses the KDE crash handler. I do not want to be held responsible
> > for these
> >     decisions I did not approve of.
>
> Apart of Firefox (IMO we don't have choice, we have zero browsers based
> on QT and Firefox is the browser, final point), I agree , it is clearly
> a no-go since F22 but we have other examples like brtfs , python 3 ,
> wayland , that have been projected to be a default and after 6 releases
> it wasn't , KDE5 is the same thing , after a year is not stable as we
> expect , but KDE5 overwrite KDE4 , so we can't have both at same time .
> So maybe it time go back and put KDE4 as default and KDE5 out or in
> copr. We just need rebuild kde-workspace, kdeplasma-addons,
> kde-print-manager and kde-baseapps.
> Unfortunately KDE upstream is not a big company and development is
> slower than we would like , but is clearly upstream fault , release KDE5
> as stable when it wasn't.
>

> Best regards,
> --
> Sérgio M. B.

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* International Education
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.vifprogram.com
<http://www.vifprogram.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VIF>