Fedora 15 Schedule

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 20:10:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:54:37AM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:

 > This is good information about which version you think Fedora will use,
 > however it doesn't really help build a Fedora schedule for the kernel team.
 > What specific tasks do you want inserted into the schedule?
 >
 > For example:
 > 1) On which date do you want to decide on the upstream kernel version
 > for Fedora 15?

As upstream doesn't do guaranteed release dates, we can't really be any
more concrete than the hand-wavy guesses that Kyle mentioned.

So we can say "F15 is going to be 2.6.38" now, and that's about as
best a guess we can do. .39 is going to be way after GA, and .37
will be 'stale' by the time GA occurs.   The exact timing of .38 however
is tied to factors we don't control.  Guessing the release date is
pretty pointless.

 > 2) How many days before the creation of the RC for Alpha, Beta, and
 > Final should the latest kernel be packaged for Fedora?

historically, we've just kept building new candidates for as long
as we have release critical bugs.  I think that criteria is more useful
to meet than a date.  There's always 'one more bug' of course, but
the acceptance criteria for blockers near the end is pretty tight.

 > 3) What dates and tasks are important to the kernel team to remember AND
 > complete in order to have a smooth Alpha, Beta, and Final release cycle?
 >
 > 4) What are important tasks that have been overlooked in the past that
 > if tracked (and set to your list as a reminder) would have helped the
 > kernel to play nicer with the rest of the Fedora release cycle?

Disabling debug-by-default is the only real date-driven thing we do.
Everything else is driven either by upstream release schedules, or
by the QA team deciding if something is blocker worthy or not.

	Dave