Fedora 15 Schedule

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 19:54:37 UTC 2010

Kyle McMartin said the following on 11/24/2010 07:09 PM Pacific Time:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:32:38PM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>> I would like to help with this.  To do so I need to know which tasks and
>> milestones to include in the schedule. Here is the current development
>> schedule for Fedora 15:
>>

> Sure, right now, we'd target 2.6.38 for F-15, which should be released
> around the beginning of April.
>
> As it stands, 2.6.37 should be released approximately mid-January, based
> on us being at 2.6.36-rc3 now and the usually week and a bit between
> -rc (and usually releasing at approximately -rc8.) Christmas and LCA if
> Linus goes might be a bit of a delay there, but I'd gather we'll be at
> 2.6.37 pre-F15-branch.
>
> It's usually a two week merge window for -rc1, and then the usual cycle,
> of roughly 80 days total before the next kernel release.
>
>>     Start         End          Name
>> Wed 19-Jan  Wed 19-Jan  Submit Installer Builds for QA Compose
>> Tue 25-Jan  Tue 25-Jan  Feature Submission Deadline
>> Wed 26-Jan  Wed 26-Jan  Submit Installer Builds for QA Compose
>> Sat 29-Jan  Mon 31-Jan  Fudcon Fedora 15--Tempe, Arizona
>> Wed 02-Feb  Wed 02-Feb  Submit Installer Builds for QA Compose
>> Tue 08-Feb  Tue 08-Feb  Branch Fedora 15 from Rawhide
>
>   ~ 2.6.37 release date.
>
>> Tue 08-Feb  Tue 08-Feb  Orphan Rawhide Packages
>> Tue 08-Feb  Tue 08-Feb  Feature Freeze (Testable|Complete)
>> Tue 08-Feb  Tue 08-Feb  Spins Freeze--All Fedora 15 Spins Identified
>> Tue 15-Feb  Tue 15-Feb  Alpha Change Deadline
>> Tue 15-Feb  Tue 15-Feb  Software String Freeze
>> Wed 16-Feb  Wed 16-Feb  Submit Installer Builds for Alpha RC Compose
>> Tue 01-Mar  Tue 01-Mar  Alpha Public Availability
>> Fri 04-Mar  Fri 04-Mar  Build F-15 collection packages for all language
>> translators
>> Mon 14-Mar  Mon 14-Mar  Submit Installer Builds for Beta TC Compose
>> Tue 15-Mar  Tue 15-Mar  Software: Start Rebuild all translated packages
>> Tue 15-Mar  Tue 22-Mar  Software: Rebuild all translated packages
>> Tue 22-Mar  Tue 22-Mar  Beta Change Deadline
>
> ~ 2.6.38-rc[7-8]
>
>> Tue 22-Mar  Tue 22-Mar  Features 100% Complete Deadline
>> Wed 23-Mar  Wed 23-Mar  Submit Installer Builds for Beta RC Compose
>> Tue 05-Apr  Tue 05-Apr  Beta Release Public Availability
>
> ~ 2.6.38 release.
>
>> Fri 15-Apr  Fri 15-Apr  Submit Installer Builds for Final TC Compose
>> Mon 25-Apr  Mon 25-Apr  Final Change Deadline
>> Mon 25-Apr  Mon 25-Apr  Submit Installer Builds for Final RC Compose
>> Tue 10-May  Tue 10-May  Final (GA) Release
>>
>> What should we add for the kernel team so that important dates are known
>> and Fedora 15 can be well coordinated?
>>

> By mid-March we should be well on our way through the 2.6.38 cycle, I
> think we'll probably stick on 2.6.37 for Alpha (depending on the exact
> release date) and immediately switch to 2.6.38-rc2 in F-15 afterwards,
> which should avoid us releasing an Alpha with a 'too raw' -rc1 kernel
> and still give us plenty of time to clean up issues with 2.6.38-rc[12].

> [...]

This is good information about which version you think Fedora will use,
however it doesn't really help build a Fedora schedule for the kernel team.

What specific tasks do you want inserted into the schedule?

For example:
1) On which date do you want to decide on the upstream kernel version
for Fedora 15?

2) How many days before the creation of the RC for Alpha, Beta, and
Final should the latest kernel be packaged for Fedora?

3) What dates and tasks are important to the kernel team to remember AND
complete in order to have a smooth Alpha, Beta, and Final release cycle?

4) What are important tasks that have been overlooked in the past that
if tracked (and set to your list as a reminder) would have helped the
kernel to play nicer with the rest of the Fedora release cycle?

John