2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:44:12 UTC 2011

> Running make oldconfig is fine, provided you actually know the right
> answers to get a config that matches what Fedora ships.
Read my answer more carefully. I was not asked whether or not to include
the noveau (and various other options, which I did not specify in my
included. Have I been asked or, at least, the appropriate options
'masked' with '#' and 'not set' I would have been alerted to this and
would have fixed this error and not gone through with posting on here
(may be!).

As it turns out, I was not asked for these missing options and they were
not included in the resultant .config file.

> Starting from the stock config for the kernel you're rebuilding is a far saner route
> than using one from an old kernel though.
Whether it is 'saner' is a matter of personal opinion!

I have been building my kernel from source and depending on the target
set of machines am using a specific set of options designed for these.
If I am supposed to just start from scratch with every (major?) revision
of the kernel and not run the oldconfig target, then that's fine,
although I think this is wrong!

For me it makes more sense to use the oldconfig target to fill in the
gaps left between the *old* config and the new one as that target (is
supposed to) ask the appropriate questions for all options not specified
in that .config file.

If you think that it makes more sense to input a few hundred options
every now and again when a new version of the kernel gets released, then
go right ahead - for me it makes more sense oldconfig to be used to fill
in the gaps.

> Its even the method used in the "Building a custom kernel" wiki page I provided a link to. One more
> time, just in case:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

Frankly, I do not give two hoots what some random wiki page
designed/created by Fedora says. Do you follow every Fedora wiki page
with instructions to the letter? If so, then I suppose you are very
happy man using Anaconda in the way it is described in the relevant wiki
page then, eh?

> Had you followed that, your kernel would have probably worked just
> fine on the first try.

Yeah, after manually typing/transferring a couple of hundred options
from my old config, sure...

>> I do not question your ability in any way, I am grateful for the help
>> you provided me with. That, unfortunately, cannot be said for the other
>> two window-licking jamooks who 'participated' in this thread!
>>

> Just fyi, its considered bad etiquette to reply to private responses
> with the list cc'd. Not a single one of JD's mails went to the list.

So, how come when I send *you* the same email with the list cc'd it gets
there, eh?

> And eloquent though yours may be, slinging insults around is also
> generally considered bad etiquette, and goes against Fedora project
> policies, per the link Paul just provided.

I am not the one who started with the insults - have a look at the
second post of this thread and tell me whether this constitutes "Be
excellent to each other" - a policy you profess to know, love and follow
to the letter!

I am not even going to comment on the post from that Michal individual
as 1) it is not in English (I though the language used in this list is
USA English, right?) and 2) it is as far as you can possibly get from
the "Be excellent to each other" policy you profess to know and follow.

We have a say here in my part of the land where I live - you reap what
you saw, so there...