2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:57:03 UTC 2011

> If your 2.6.34 .config file works  in 2.6.34 (i.e. gives
> you all the drivers you want/need), then all you  have
> to do is (after exrracting the kernel source with
> rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec)
> is to cd to the linux-2.6.35.x86_64 (assuming that is your architecture)
> and remove .config and .oldconfig and copy in your
> .config from 2.6.34, and run make old config and answer
> all the questions according to your needs.
That is precisely what I've done:

cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.35.fc13/linux-2.6.25.x86_64
cp ~/kernel/solar-34-options.config .config
make oldconfig
make menuconfig (I do NOT make any changes!!!)
diff -NurBb ~/kernel/solar-34-options.config .config (this is to see
what has been changed - I ONLY execute this during minor revisions,
that's all)
vi .config (this is to add the magic "# x86_64" at the top)
cp .config ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-x86_64-generic
rpmbuild -bb .......

That's it! After executing the above sequence, as I already pointed out,
there are group of options which are not included, nor are they present
in the .config file, where, in my opinion, they should be
(CONFIG_DRM_NOVEAU for starters). Am I doing it wrong?

> after that DO NOT EDIT .config!!!
I have to in order to include the '# x86_64' magic, unless that is no
longer necessary as of .35?

> Just run make all.
>
> That's it!!!
> No need to run menuconfig UNLESS you need a driver that
> was NOT enabled in your original .config from 2.6.34.
In the past I used to get errors hen i do not run make menuconfig (don't
remember what the error was though), so, since then I just run make
menuconfig, don't do any changes and promptly select the 'Exit' option
as soon as I see the ncurses menu. Running diff after that just confirms
that nothing has changed, apart from the date/time stamp at the top.

> Let me know.
Once I include the 'missing' options and configure them as they should
all is well! The question is - do I have to go through this hoopla and
manually add my options when oldconfig does not add them for me?