[NOT SOLVED] 2.6.35.10-74 compilation (and build) problems

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 7 23:44:51 UTC 2011

> - IT WORKS!
Except, that it doesn't! (note to self: lay off the brown sauce!)

The merge as described in my post yesterday (or was it this morning?)
indeed merges all the options and they are all present in the resulting
.config file.

HOWEVER, when either "make menuconfig", "make oldconfig" or "rpmbuild
-bb" is executed it, for some reason, truncates the merged file - it is
as if it does *not* recognise some of the options which were merged with
merge.pl.

This might be the reason as to why some of the options seems to be
'ignored' or 'overwritten' by the rpmbuild system!

Closer look of the merged file reveals that the merge.pl script stacks
all the new options mostly randomly, but places quite a few of those
right at the bottom of the resulting file. I am not familiar with the
kernel parsing algorithm and do not know whether it relies on the
'sections' (the commented out descriptions, like '# General setup'), but
if it does there lies the reason why this file is truncated and 'not
understood'.

I am attaching a bunch of config files for those interested in
investigating this further. Here is a brief description of these:

0-35-stock.config - the config which is located in
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.35.fc13/linux-2.6.35.x86_64/configs and
which, by my understanding, is generated when "rpmbuild -bp" is
executed. It contains the amalgamation of all available options for the
.35 revision (at least that is what I think!).

1-solar-34-options.config - this is the file I attached in my post when
created this thread. All my 'old' .34 options are here.

2-solar-35-options-oldconfig.config - this is the file which resulted
after running "make oldconfig" after I copied
"1-solar-34-options.config" as ".config" in
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.35.fc13/linux-2.6.35.x86_64. Quite a few
(and important!) options are missing (notably DRM_NOVEAU group), which
is the reason for the screw up when the kernel is built.

3-solar-35-options-merged.config - this is the file which resulted after
executing "perl ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/merge.pl
2-solar-35-options-oldconfig.config 0-35-stock.config" and it contains
the merge of all options between .34 version (after oldconfig make
target is executed and all questions are answered) and the stock .35
options. Ideally, this should be the file which is used to build the
kernel, but unfortunately neither "rpmbuild -bb", nor "make
oldconfig/menuconfig" seems to recognise the 'merged' options and after
running those it truncates this file (see below)!

4-solar-35-options-menuconfig.config - this is what happens when I run
either "make menuconfig", "rpmbuild -bb" or "make oldconfig" - the vast
majority of the 'merged' options are not understood and as a result the
file is truncated!