Remove ppc32 support

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Fri May 16 18:37:08 UTC 2014

On Friday, May 16, 2014, 12:22:26 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> The powerpc secondary arch team has disabled all ppc32 builds in koji for
> F21 and beyond:

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ppc/2014-May/002801.html

> There's little point in keeping support for ppc32 support in the kernel
> package when it will never be built.  This also removes the -smp variant
> and with_smp* support, as that was only used on ppc32.

Josh,

In  the  fedora-ppc list you will also find that there are a number of
us  who  are  attempting to keep support for ppc32 active, and restore
the ability to create new installations.

This may take the form of a remix - it has been suggested that we talk
to  Fesco,  this this seems to set a precedent on how x84 32-bit might
be treated in the future.

We  have no intention of preventing a successful Fedora 21 release for
ppc64.  A  number of folks on the ppc64 team agree it is a useful goal
(largely  those  with nostalgic feelings for vintage hardware). Others
are more of the "take it out behind the barn and shoot it" category.

Making  it  so  that ppc32 does not get built by default is one thing,
but  removing  the  ability to build ppc32 at all seems excessive, and
certainly premature given the current situation.

Thanks for your consideration.
Al