should we consider making CoDel the default to combat bufferbloat?

Bill Nottingham notting at splat.cc
Fri Oct 17 18:55:31 UTC 2014

Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 05:01:34PM +0200, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> > we're considering adding "net.core.default_qdisc = fq_codel" to
> > the default sysctl config shipped with systemd.
>
> That's kind of surprising to me. What's the rationale behind setting these
> kind of defaults at the systemd level?

AIUI, it's the same rationale as to why Fedora would set it in systemd or
initscripts - if systemd thinks the default should be X, but the upstream
kernel won't change it from Y, then systemd sets it in the defaults there.
It's just a little more unusual to do so in the upstream project, but it's
already done for things like source routing, a default sysrq value, etc.

Bill