should we consider making CoDel the default to combat bufferbloat?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Oct 29 15:08:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:15:32PM +0100, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> >  - data centre LAN interface -- hierarchical queuing with a high
> >  priority, random drop queue for control plane traffic (LACP, spanning
> >  tree, etc) and CoDel for other traffic.

Random drop for Spanning Tree and LACP?  Really?  That is a disaster
waiting to happen.  Critical control plane traffic should be highly
prioritized.  Most enterprise/datacenter network gear puts control
plane traffic in a NC queue with a small amount of bandwidth
reservation, typically 5%.  Dropping STP creates network loops.
Dropping LACP breaks bonded links.  These are things you don't want to
happen in your datacenter.