kdbus and Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed May 6 15:30:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, 6 May 2015 11:27:01 +0100
Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the enable until alpha is basically what Josh was suggesting with
> the in rawhide until branching bit because we branch just before we
> freeze for Alpha.
>
> On the alternate weeks/reboot proposal... rawhide contains a fast
> moving kernel already I'm really not sure a revolving door approach
> would be good for user or kernel team's sanity or kdbus as a proposal.
>
> The proposal here was to make it easier to be tested so getting it in
> the default installed kernel is clearly the biggest obstacle in this
> regard. I think maybe do the rest in  two phases:
> 1) get it landed but leave it disabled by default
> 2) based on feedback of users then review whether enabling it by
> default is worthwhile.
>
> It's then easy to review and move forward.
>
> Ultimately I think we need the default to be what is going to be the
> default for the release it's being built for because otherwise the
> testing is useless for the distribution as a whole.

I agree.

I'm personally fine with having it be 'opt in' in rawhide (at least at
first) if the kernel maintainers are ok carrying the patch.

I'd also like to suggest a wiki page or something explaining how to
enable it, and what to test. Then switching that if it becomes opt out
to explain how to do that.

kevin