[Fedora-livecd-list] Bring me up to speed on using git for livecd-tools

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Aug 12 20:55:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 13:43:19 -0700,
  Jasper Hartline <jasper.hartline at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Then git push pushes the changes upstream. If something changed upstream
> > then this will fail. I am not sure off hand the best way to work
> > around it. But there should be something that is easy.
> I am pretty sure there is a gitmerge tool.

I like to avoid having merges appear upstream if they aren't really necessary.
I think there is a way to do a merge with upstream to your local repo so
that when you do the push it looks like just new commits were added without
a merge. But I don't remember the command right now.

> > For fedpkg, I am using that and a mixture of native git commands to do
> > work. But I haven't really settled on a process yet.
>
> I would agree fedpkg isn't fully featured yet.
> Will keep this message for reference.

Just to note, I like using a mix so that I can stay closer to using git,
no so much that fedpkg doesn't do everything. I try to limit fedpkg
to doing Fedora specific stuff, like saving tar balls in the lookaside cache
(fedplg new-sources) and doing an initial clone (eventually it will let
you clone all of the branches at once in a single local repo which will
be a nice convenience).

That reminds me, there is also a global git setting you might want to use.
It sets it so that a push command only pushes the currently checked out
branch to the upstream repo it is tracking. The normal default tries to
push multiple branches, which doesn't work well if you are treating
different Fedora release branches as branches of the same local repo.
Typically you only want to push one at a time.