[Fedora-livecd-list] Customized Fedora Live Image

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 16:13:41 UTC 2010

Le 01/12/2010 14:03, mammar a écrit :
> Hi All,
>

> I have been working on a customized fedora live image which contains hard disk tools(gparted etc) and mandatory linux packages. The current customized ISO size is 320MB. Currently ISO contains 626 packages. I tried different options (like --nobase) in kickstart file but no effect.
>
> Currently ISO contain minimal gnome desktop but i am thinking to replace it with xfce. Am i right?

I got the image down to 230M by switching to TWM as a window manager. TWM
sucks but I do not really need any window manager, TWM+startx just get
me Xorg up and running with practically no configuration nor hacking.
I am not sure you can as low with XFCE (if yes please report your success here).

You will find this blog very relevant:
http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/why-minimal-is-225-mb/

In the archive of this list you will also find a very small patch I wrote
that increases the log level of yum. This is very useful to understand
why package X or Y is pulled as a dependency.