[Fedora-livecd-list] Compression option

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Feb 16 15:43:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:42:42 +0000,
  James Heather <j.heather at surrey.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hopefully in about a month I'll want to modify the rawhide (f14) version
>
> Did you mean F14? Is the devel freeze strict enough that this can't be
> done for F13?

Yes I meant F14. I need kernel 2.6.34 in order for this to be really testable.
And we probably won't get that in F13 until after release as it isn't
expected to be ready until after F13 is released.

Making changes to the live image builder after alpha could cause problems
for downstream projects (spins, anaconda and the like) and potentially
screw up the beta test. In theory that shouldn't happen, but it's not
something I want to throw in fairly late in the cycle. Also reverting
after some spins have relied on the better compression could be rather
annoying as well.

> If that's right, how about introducing the compression option for F13
> but with the default of zlib (since presumably that won't upset anyone
> or break any rules because it'll be wholly backwards compatible), and
> then changing the default to lzma for F14?
>
> > While there is some argument for making zlib the default for backwards
> > compatibilty, I don't think that is a big deal and having the better
> > compression by default seems to make more sense to me.

I will try to get the dev squashfs tools into F13 for beta. But
livecd-creator wouldn't use the lzma compression option. The idea being that
an update to F13 after release would add the kernel piece and livecd-creator
would get an update after that.