[Fedora-livecd-list] size of device on which anaconda lays down a filesystem?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jul 31 14:41:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 17:36:16 -0500,
  paul.armor at usbank.com wrote:

> It's like the block device that lives under the filesystem isn't actually
> "as big" as the fs that's layed down on top of it?

This is done with an overlay. The base file system is readonly. If you
aren't using a disk based overlay (for USB devices), you'll be limited to
whatever is used for the ramfs overlay. I don't know exactly how that is
sized, but it is probably some minimum and a fraction of your ram. So it
doesn't seem surprising that you get the same limit even with different sizes
for the image saved on the cd, dvd or usb device.