[Fedora-livecd-list] Persistance

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 5 03:52:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:01:39 -0700,
   ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:

>I love my Fedora Live USB a little too much.  Can't get enough
>space to add everything I want to it.
>
>Do you know of a way to overcome the 4GB persistent
>storage restriction?  ("overlay-live-xxxxx" I presume.)
>
>I am trying to do this:
>
>livecd-iso-to-disk --overlay-size-mb 7194
>/home/kvm/Fedora-Live-Xfce-x86_64-20-1.iso  /dev/sdc1
>
>But get told overlay can only be 2048 max.

That might be because the overlay file is normally going to be on an FAT
file system. Though I think I saw a bug somewhere that said the limit
really should be less that 4GiB.

How large is your device? You might consider doing a normal install to
it if you are going to be doing updates and keeping it for a long time
without refreshing. Note that you can't normally update the kernel in
a live image. So for long term use a normal install is better,
assuming you have the room.