[Fedora-livecd-list] naive user problems

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed May 27 17:34:25 UTC 2015

[Every once in a while I try Live USB creator.  I always seem to confuse
myself and go back to dd.  If I used it regularly, I'd probably be good at
it.]

I downloded Fedora 22, installed Live USB Creator, and tried to use it.

I found the file selector awkward.  It didn't show me the contents of
directories until I insisted with some gesture I don't remember.

I had a choice of Non-destructive or Overwrite.  I had nothing I wanted
to save on the stick, so I chose overwrite.  And let it rip.

Fine, but there was no Persistent Storage that way (for a reason I can
guess at, after the fact).

So I did it again with "non-destructive".  After an hour, it is still
stuck at 99% installing bootloader.  My guess: there is no partition
structure of (FAT) filesystem after dd'ing a .iso to the stick.  Surely a
diagnostic would be in order.

It would be good if there was a "make a suitable FAT filesystem" choice.