[Fedora-livecd-list] naive user problems

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Wed May 27 18:42:53 UTC 2015

On 05/27/2015 10:34 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> [Every once in a while I try Live USB creator.  I always seem to confuse
> myself and go back to dd.  If I used it regularly, I'd probably be good at
> it.]
>
> I downloded Fedora 22, installed Live USB Creator, and tried to use it.
>
> I found the file selector awkward.  It didn't show me the contents of
> directories until I insisted with some gesture I don't remember.
>
> I had a choice of Non-destructive or Overwrite.  I had nothing I wanted
> to save on the stick, so I chose overwrite.  And let it rip.
>
> Fine, but there was no Persistent Storage that way (for a reason I can
> guess at, after the fact).
>
> So I did it again with "non-destructive".  After an hour, it is still
> stuck at 99% installing bootloader.  My guess: there is no partition
> structure of (FAT) filesystem after dd'ing a .iso to the stick.  Surely a
> diagnostic would be in order.
>
> It would be good if there was a "make a suitable FAT filesystem" choice.
> --

Hi D,

I reformat my stick with ext3 before using Live USB Creator.  And
I tell Live USB Creator for the maximum storage.

By the way, that feature is all screwed up.  You get a maximum
of 3 GB persistence not matter how much larger you ask for.

Also, bear in mind, that there is no give back when it comes
to persistence.  Once the space is used, erasing files
from it does not get your space back.

Also, it is a complete PAIN IN THE NECK to get Live USB to boot
off all motherboards.  Live USB like HP's, but not many others.
Supermicro hates them.

If that is not enough room for you, try installing directly to
the USB Drive.   I have had exceptional luck with a 16 GB stick.
It is about 30% used.  And, so far it boots off of everything
the LIVE USB refused to. Plus, since it is formatted ext4, I
constantly copy files back and forth from it from my base
Linux systems.

-T