FAD at OLF

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Aug 9 17:14:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Beth Lynn Eicher
<bethlynn at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Dear Marketing List,
>
> I did not hear from a sole regarding holding a Fedora Activity Day at
> the Ohio LinuxFest on 9/10. The deadline has come and gone. I suspect
> is is out of disinterest but hope that isn't so. You do not have to
> have a full agenda - just one solid point person. We do not have
> unlimited space - nor is it cheap. It will be free to Fedora or what
> ever Free Software project jumps on it first.
>
> I will be on Freenode after 18:00 eastern today as bethlynn. Also any
> interested parties may send me an email at bethlynn at ohiolinux.org.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Beth Lynn Eicher

Hi Beth Lynn,

There was talk of a marketing FAD, but IIRC, there were a couple of blockers:

1. FADs have traditionally been used to accomplish a specific set of
goals - FADs such as the one at SELF are abnormal (though not bad) To
my knowledge no such set of goals was proposed.
2. Owner - there has yet to be an owner step up to marshal all of the
resources and people necessary for success.

In addition we've had very mixed results with FADs at events - as I
noted earlier there's a specific set of goals - those have been
accomplished best when there are a minimum of distractions. An event
like OLF is full of distractions in the form of presentations, and
fascinating people, and fascinating things to do. That means that
either the event suffers from our focus on getting things done, or
that the FAD suffers from our wanting to participate in events.