https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Pt

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:40:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
> [...]
>> >
>> > I've prepared a small version in fluent Portuguese pt_PT available at:
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Pt_alternative
>> >
>> > in which I've tried to follow the model made by a spanish contributor
>> > on: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Es
>> >

>> > I've runned the page through the trans-pt list. If we have approval from
>> > translation list that it complies with normalized Portuguese, can I
>> > replace it and delete the alternative?
>> >
>> > This brings up another question. We have a few more pages to enter
>> > onishe the wiki in Portuguese, being one of them the trans-pt team page.
>> >
>> > Where can we start differentiation on documentation on the wiki ? Could
>> > we establish something like: http://fedoraproject.org/pt/ as the root
>> > for the content entered in Portuguese by Portuguese contributors? Lets
>> > imagine:
>> >
>> > http://fedoraproject.org/pt/trans-pt-team
>> > http://fedoraproject.org/pt/something
>> >
>> > ?
>>
>> The wiki is under /wiki/, these URLs are for the main website only,
>> which already has both pt/ and pt_BR/ variants from what I can see.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/pt/
>> http://fedoraproject.org/pt_BR/
>
> You are correct, I miss /wiki/ after the tld. If you look at the links
> above, the one I translated, they appeared on the correct, my bad on
> this one.
>

>> > What are the guidelines for this? I apologize if this is not from the
>> > nature of this list, but considering we Marketing support the the
>> > efforts to grow our user base, this seems to be a very valid question
>> > for this list as it would for sure qualify as strategical marketing.
>> >
>> > Looking forward for instructions.
>>
>> I would prefer to see this decision made by consensus of the pt_PT and
>> pt_BR translation teams.  One way I think we could solve it easily:
>>
>> * Put all content for Portuguese under pt_PT/.  The main page on the wiki
>>   would be: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/pt_PT/
>>
>> * On that page, have a note at the top that indicates (in pt_BR): "If
>>   you're looking for pt_BR, refer to
>>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/pt_BR" and make sure that page exists.
>>
>> * Similarly, on the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/pt_BR page, indicate
>>   (in pt_PT): "If you're looking fro pt_PT, refer to
>>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/pt_PT".
>>
>> * If needed, have a http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/pt page that points
>>   to both.
>
> Paul,
>
> I would just like to point one thing PT is used internationally for
> Portugal in all organizations worldwide, including the UN. IANA has also
> assinged .pt to Portugal under the RFC 1561 if I am not mistaken.
> For Portuguese audiences it would be easier to find it on /PT as I would
> assume it would be the easier for Brazilian audiences to find theirs
> in /BR. And makes no sense to me share /PT between pt_PT and PT_BR. So
> in the future we have to add at least 7/8 more countries.
>
> This is my personal opinion. Whatever you guys decide, it's cool by me,

Well - we're not all experts here in Marketing on the different ways
to make that call.  While I'm happy to start working towards the goal
of having a more solidified workflow as far as translating marketing
deliverables goes, the decision on the pt_PT / PT_BR naming
conventions really needs to be in the hands of the translations team,
since the decision on naming conventions for translations reaches
other groups who also have translated versions of their deliverables
(docs, websites, just to name a few) - and we really need to ensure
that consistency flows throughout the project, no matter what decision
is made.

At the bare minimum, I think this conversation generally needs to be
had on the l10n list.  We're (well, at least, I'm) not equipped to be
making decisions regarding translation workflow, naming conventions,
etc. - and most of the people who are, and should be involved in those
decisions, are not on the marketing mailing list.  So I'd suggest
taking what has been said here, as Paul recommended - to both the
trans-pt and general l10 lists - and seeing what can be determined as
a plan to go forward.

-Robyn