End of Year Marketing Retrospective

Remy DeCausemaker decause at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 07:41:47 UTC 2015

mktgs,

Across the Project, one of the tools we use to get better at what wedo
is a Retrospective. This is a report compiled by contributors that
more or less lists the things that went well/not-so-well, and ideas
for improvement. You can find examples on the wiki (QA has some recent
pages like https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_21_QA_Retrospective
and https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_21_Retrospective)

Marketing Retrospectives were once based upon SOPs (Standard Operating
Procedures) for doing marketing tasks like creating the alpha/beta/final
announcements, briefing ambassadors, and other interesting and crucial
work. Some are a bit dated, but you can find them here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Marketing_SOPs

Since we didn't totally stick to an SOP for releases this year, we're
just going to gather extra 'after the fact' feedback and data to make
improvements to our process, going back to Fedora 22 when possible.

Here are a few questions we'd like to take a stab at answering on our wiki page:

 - What did we do right?
 - What can we do better?
 - Where did we have gaps?
 - How did we bridge them?

After we've gotten this retrospective fleshed out, we'd like to
reinstate regular mktg meetings on IRC in early 2016. Keep an eye on
the lists for updates.

If folks have any questions about this email, or additional questions
they think would provide value to the retrospective, please update the
wiki before Friday 12/18 (or even just respond here, and commops will
update the wiki from this thread.)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/2015_marketing_retrospective

Looking Forward,
--RemyD.

P.S. --

Too often FOSS Communities must take care not to settle into negative
feedback loops. Below is an excellent quote from some further reading
on the subject of pointing fingers and blamery, recommended to me by
mattdm:

"...it's like peeing in your pants. You feel relieved and perhaps even
nice and warm for a little while, but then it gets cold and
uncomfortable..."
~Sydney Decker, "A Look at Looking in the Mirror" by J. Paul Reed.''

http://www.slideshare.net/jhand2/its-not-your-fault-blameless-post-mortems
https://codeascraft.com/2012/05/22/blameless-postmortems/

Retrospectives are all about identifying direction and moving forward
in a positive manner :)

--
Remy DeCausemaker
Fedora Community Lead & Council