mingw23-SDL_mixer can't open audio device?

Christopher Thielen chris at epiar.net
Mon Sep 5 03:54:52 UTC 2011

The problem seems to persist even if I compile SDL myself and try the
included loopwave.c test.

Here's the specific error:
Couldn't open audio: waveOutOpen(): The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated.

waveOutOpen() appears to be a Windows function:

Presumably MinGW is implementing this? Anyone know of a way to test this
function directly?