[Fedora-music-list] music Digest, Vol 48, Issue 17

Thu Apr 28 18:59:59 UTC 2011

On 04/28/2011 05:24 AM, William Blackburn wrote:

>>  > A little bit more information would be great. What applications do you
>>  use? Are you running jack for them? With what parameters? (ie: frames
>>  per period, periods per buffer, sampling rate, etc). What soundcard do
>>  you use? Are you really loading the machine when testing?
>>
>>  And with the same conditions what kind of problem did you see in the
>>  regular Fedora 15 kernel?
>
> I usually try to get 5ms or less of latency with 41000 smaple rate and
> 64 frames/period and 2 periods/buffer.
> I do use JACK and I usually limit my self to use JACK as a guitar
> effects processor. I think it will also work fine with a recording app
> like qtractor as well. Actaully I was getting super low latency with the
> liunxDSP reverb effect. About 1.667ms believe it or not :) Here is a
> link to the patch and the kernel to patch against
> http://users.on.net/~ckolivas/kernel/. I think this is a better
> alternative b/c it does not require any c group privileges.

I don't understand. Maybe you mean realtime group privileges?

>Please feel
> free to try it and let me know what you thought. The maintainer of the
> patch can be found on OFTC at #ck. Btw I get freezes with the ccrma F14
> kerenel-rt. Is this normal?

No, of course not!

And it will never get fixed if nobody reports the problem :-)
Do you seen anything in the logs after you reboot your machine?

I will release a newer rt kernel shortly (based on rt31), so it might
have fixes.

-- Fernando