[Fedora-music-list] Action items for the Audio spin

Christopher R. Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 3 05:17:36 UTC 2012

Hi:

On 04/01/2012 12:07 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there's been talk of a road map for the Audio spin and I'd just
> like to jot down some suggestions for what we might like to
> achieve.
>
> - installation media requirements. I'm proposing a smaller Live CD
> (lite) and a full blown DVD installer.
Good idea.

> - default Desktop for both installations. I would like something
> with a really small size/footprint for the Live CD. Perhaps we can
> try LXDE for the smaller and KDE for the DVD?
Works for me.

> - default set of packages for both - revisit multimedia-menus
> package and determine which packages need additional Categories in
> the desktop file
This could definitely use some work.

> - how best to package the Musicians guide - how to achieve optimal
> RT performance from the stock kernel (adding threadirqs to the
> kernel command, assigning jackuser/pulse-rt group membership) -
> default pulse/jack setup with pulse->jack bridging
> 'out-of-the-box' - determine what packages from CCRMA and RPMFusion
> are must haves in the Fedora repos and can be rebuilt to comply
> with Fedora licensing. - desktop style and icons on install- darker
> themes are an obvious choice for audio (often poor lighting etc)
> but can be a pain for normal use. There are ways around this (Arch
> linux has some good tips for achieving this - perhaps we just need
> to document it somewhere) - and of course updating the Wikis
>
> Most of this stuff is pretty trivial (but possibly time
> consuming). Achieving the perfect setup out of the box w.r.t. RT
> performance, jack and pulseaudio is going to require a lot more
> thought and possible *real* development. As I've said before
> KXStudio has tried to solve this problem with its cadence app
> (still pre-alpha). It makes a few assumptions about applications
> (presence of ladish for example) which may not necessarily apply
> here, but we can certainly learn a lot from their work.
>
> I'm thinking that some of this could be assigned to the successful
> GSoC candidate.
The successful candidate should have seen this list and used it to
produce a "roadmap" for completion over the summer. You're right about
most of these things being both trivial and time-consuming... there's
a lot of thinking and trying to be done! I have an idea we'll never
get this done without GSoC.

So on that note... I'm still working on convincing a friend to apply
(for whom, like me, it is the end of term at university), and I've
been telling others about the project too. Do we know whether anybody
else has filed or intends to file an application?

Also, I have no objection to the "Audio Spin" name, but I think we
should narrow our target audience before GSoC. Do we want to focus on
live performance and recording (Ardour)? Do we want to focus on all
computer-based audio production (SuperCollider)? Do we want to focus
on everything musicians do (LilyPond/Frescobaldi)? It'll make a big
difference for the Live CD especially.

Maybe something else to add in, depending on who the candidate is, is
machine-learning algorithms for music/audio files for NEPOMUK.