[Fedora-music-list] Thoughts on spin tools

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:28:50 UTC 2012

On 03/05/2012 11:17 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On 03/03/2012 02:46 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I been thinking about what we need to do differentiate the audio
>> spin from a just a collection of audio packages in addition to the
>> spins we already have.
>>
>> We really need some kind of UI or set of tools which tries to tie
>> everything together, allowing for the coexistence of
>> jack/pulseaudio (or not), multiple sound device configurations and
>> context switching between audio and normal desktop use. I've
>> mapping out such an application and in my travels have come across
>> laditools [1] and kxstudio's cadence [2]. Good to see that there
>> have been some recent efforts in this area. Perhaps we can leverage
>> of these.
>
> May I suggest you post any resulting idea(s) for students to consider
> for Google Summer of Code? (We're applying by this Friday, so sooner
> the better.)
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012
>
> An idea can be e.g. getting tools packaged, dealing with dependencies,
> pushing patches to the upstream, and tying it all together neatly for
> the spin. If it's a large workload for one student over the summer,
> split it up in to two or more ideas.
>
> You don't have to be an expert in the technologies involved, you just
> have to be good at connecting your student to people and resources to
> get things done.
>
> You might be able to find a co-mentor who has the knowledge to create
> your ideas but doesn't have the time, so can have the students get
> things moving along or completed.
>
> If Fedora gets a GSoC slot, then any energy you put in before the
> student proposal deadline to publicizing the ideas (e.g. to Stanford
> students ;D ) increases the quantity and quality of student applications.
>
> Cheers - Karsten

Good idea Karsten. I've posted a draft idea on the wiki [1]. Encourage
people to comment/review/edit and suggest other tasks as necessary. Is
this all that is required at this stage?

So this is a call out to mentors to register their interested on the
same page as well.

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2012#Fedora_Audio_Creation_Spin