[Fedora-music-list] Thoughts on spin tools

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:37:05 UTC 2012

On 03/03/2012 11:46 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I been thinking about what we need to do differentiate the audio spin
> from a just a collection of audio packages in addition to the spins we
> already have.
>
> We really need some kind of UI or set of tools which tries to tie
> everything together, allowing for the coexistence of jack/pulseaudio (or
> not), multiple sound device configurations and context switching between
> audio and normal desktop use. I've mapping out such an application and
> in my travels have come across laditools [1] and kxstudio's cadence [2].
> Good to see that there have been some recent efforts in this area.
> Perhaps we can leverage of these.

Just a quick update here - the evaluation of the kxstudio suite of tools
looks really promising - the cadence application in particular. It
handles jack configuration, pulseaudio / jack bridging and a2jmidid all
in a simple Qt python application (checkout the screenshot in the link
below). It also provides an LV2/LADSP/DSSI/VST plugin host (yet  to try
it out)

I'm working on packaging this so you guys can try it out before I submit
it for review - so far so good, it seems to be working well on my
system. The other applications bundled with this require ladish and
laditools, but least I can push something out so you can try the cadence
app.