[Fedora-packaging] Item for FPC consideration - changelogs

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Jan 25 10:44:04 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:33:57AM -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I often want to make corrections to previous changelog entries.
>
> This is now allowed for in the draft, with the "obvious error" exception.
>
> > I sometimes
> > want to remove irrelevant changelog entries, usually only cases like
> > "Rebuild for rawhide libfoo-1.2.3" when I have that spec in sync with
> > previous Fedora/RHEL releases and that changelog entry is
> > irrelevant/incorrect for other distros.
>
> But those are, as you state, "other distros".  Each branch of Fedora
> (and arguably RHEL, but I have no influence in internal RHT guidelines
> obviously) should have a unique spec file. To do otherwise is to
> rewrite history. FESCo recently dealt with exactly this issue, and
> took a quite dismal view on it. (though in that case it was a script
> that was obliterating changelog entries).

Please provide a pointer to this issue. The issue that comes to my
mind[0] was mainly about reverting changes that other maintainers than
the owner performed on spec files.

Imho it is valid for a maintainer to mainly develop the spec file in
devel and use it for the other branches as well.

Regards
Till

[0] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/298