[Fedora-packaging] Item for FPC consideration - changelogs

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jan 25 17:08:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 01:12 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> I consider this to be common sense, but it's not in the guidelines
> right now - that changelog entries are immutable.  To that end, I have
> a really simple draft up here for revision of the guidelines to
> explicitly state that.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Jstanley/Changelog_Draft
> --

I'd like to see another exception, trimming out an automated rebuild
entry.  These don't really add much to the history of the package, no
change to the package was made, and it does cause inconsistencies across
the Fedora releases when these specs are kept in sync.

And yet another exception, trimming the history for brevity.  We don't
really need rpm changelogs dating back to 1995 for some of these
packages.

I think it would be worth stating the /reason/ why we discourage
changing changelog entries, as opposed to just saying "YOU MUST NOT DO
IT" and expecting the maintainer to reach a logical conclusion as to
why.  When you give them the why, you enable them to consider that why
with what it is they desire to do and make a reasonable informed
decision about their action.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!