[Fedora-packaging] How can packages require a pre-release version?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 16:58:21 UTC 2011

On 02/10/2011 02:25 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:04:42 +0100, I wrote:
>
>> '>' and'>=' would make the dependency less strong, since e.g.
>> 2.0-0.beta11 is>  2.0
>
> Ignore this, please. It's truncated, I got distracted, it doesn't make
> sense. Correct would be:
>
> 2.0-0.beta11 is _not_>  2.0  as it's equal to 2.0 in a ">= 2.0" dependency.

Ah the versioning here is a little better...

And actually, we do have a virtual provides which was added when we
switched from firefox to xulrunner as the gecko base, so people could
just require gecko-libs/devel instead of needing to figure out whether
they needed to require firefox or xulrunner, but it's always been set to
%{version}-%{release}.  Of course that can, and probably should, change.

Thanks.