[Fedora-packaging] How can packages require a pre-release version?

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 17:59:55 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 09:46 PM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Essentially, the number that gets incremented is _before_ the
> pre-release, and unfortunately there's no time machine available to
> determine how many increments will occur before the next tarball update,
> so packages can't do
>    Require: xulrunner > 2.0-0.19.beta11.fc15
>    Require: xulrunner < 2.0-0.22.beta12.fc15
>
> since we might just go straight to 2.0-0.20.beta12.fc15 or we might need
> 20 rebuilds of beta 11.  And depending on the specific NVR is suboptimal
> too.

Could you depend on a versioned directory that is more specific?

Alternately, a custom provides seems like a better solution, e.g:

Requires: xulrunner = 2.0
Requires: xulrunner(beta) > 11

I am not a fan of using underscores in the version-release, as that only
makes things more confusing for humans, even if it does provide a
workaround for this specific situation.

~tom

==
Fedora Project