[Fedora-packaging] should I include tests in the package?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 15:41:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 05:12:43PM +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Jon Ciesla <limburgher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM, Jon Ciesla <limburgher at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Unless they impose huge build deps or something, run them in make check.
> >
> > To more directly answer your question, yes, include and run tests
> > whenever possible. :)
>
> This sounds like a SHOULD: include tests whenever possible...
>
> It's enough to run it in %check and normally a user of the package
> doesn't need to have the tests around.
> I'd only include them, when upstream wants to have tham in and
> installs them with "make" or "setup.py". And only in the latter case,
> you need to decide to split the tests into a subpackage.

Indeed:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Test_Suites

Whether to ship the tests for the end user is a more complicated problem
because test suites aren't terribly standardised and so different upstream
test suites may have various issues.

For instance, the APLpy runtests.py script has a chunk of encoded text at
the start.  From the code that operates on it, I'm guessing that it's
a pickled compiled code block of a bundled library (python-py).  That's
something we'd hesitate to run in the buildsys let alone on user's machines.