[Distutils] SOLVED: bdist_rpm and pre-release python packages / eggs (was: pre-release versioning problems with sdist, bdist_rpm, bdist_debian)

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 16:08:49 UTC 2009

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> 1) The Python StrictVersion and LooseVersion classes in Setuptools
> used to validate and compare versions are incompatible with RPM's
> lexicographical order. Even the setuptools metadata documentation,
> which is in full force and implemented, says alpha and beta and rc are
> expressly permitted (and ENCOURAGED) in the version name, and
> setuptools' dependency resolution actually uses that information.
Then this is a 'setuptools' ERROR.  Go fix it in setuptools.  If
setuptools creates lexigraphically stupid version and release strings
that are incompatible with RPM then that is a 'setuptools' problem, NOT
a bdist_rpm problem.

Go fix 'setuptools'.

Again,  I'm a big -1 on this patch.  There is nothing broken in
'bdist_rpm'.   But there is obviously something broken in 'setuptools'.

Regards,
Gerry