Fedora Python features

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri May 28 00:39:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 07:32:23PM -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> I've added a list of Python-related features to our wiki page here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Python#Python_Features
>
> Is anyone else working on Python-related Fedora features?

You are!

pypy and pynie are good stories for Fedora 14.  Although what would make
this even better is figuring out how to package modules for both of these.

I've been working on coding kitchen (will package once I get the licensing
worked out) which may or may not make a good story.... It's a library of
little code that everyone decided they need to write.  So it's little and
eclectic by nature (not earthshattering) but at the same time we're writing
it and it would be useful...  I'll propose it as a feature if someone prods
me otherwise I'll consider it just another package.

  https://fedorahosted.org/releases/k/i/kitchen/docs

> * upgrading python3 from 3.1 to 3.2  [3].  This is more uncertain, as
> the upstream schedule doesn't line up so well with ours.  We could
> potentially package an alpha release I guess.  python3 isn't on the
> critical path, and the number of packages needing a rebuild is _much_
> smaller than for Python 2, but I'd want to talk to upstream about it.
> By comparison, Ubuntu's next release has a slightly later feature freeze
> than ours, and is planning to ship a beta of 3.2 ([4] and [5]).

To decide this, we really want to have an idea of features vs risks and how
long between our release and the upstream 3.2-final release.

* I have a vague remembrance that a lot of good things were added to 3.2 but
  the upstream whatsnew page doesn't yet list things that jog my memory.
* We probably don't want to ship 3.2alpha1 if final doesn't come out for six
  more months but shipping a late alpha when final is scheduled for two
  months later could be a good tradeoff.

-Toshio