Fedora Python features

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu May 27 23:32:23 UTC 2010

I've added a list of Python-related features to our wiki page here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Python#Python_Features

Is anyone else working on Python-related Fedora features?

In particular, I've added the three that I'm looking at (so far...):
* the debug builds that I've mentioned on this list [1]

* upgrading python from 2.6 to 2.7 (and rebuilding the world) [2], which
I think we'll want to do soon: 2.7 beta 2 is out, with the final release
scheduled by upstream for 2010-07-03, well within F-14's schedule.

* upgrading python3 from 3.1 to 3.2  [3].  This is more uncertain, as
the upstream schedule doesn't line up so well with ours.  We could
potentially package an alpha release I guess.  python3 isn't on the
critical path, and the number of packages needing a rebuild is _much_
smaller than for Python 2, but I'd want to talk to upstream about it.
By comparison, Ubuntu's next release has a slightly later feature freeze
than ours, and is planning to ship a beta of 3.2 ([4] and [5]).

Thoughts?

Dave

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DebugPythonStacks
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7