Switching to Python 3

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 3 08:28:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to start a discussion about the release where we should switch to Python 3. As I have learned recently, Ubuntu 12.10 will have Python 3 as default [1], which makes me a sad panda :(
> We always take pride in being close to upstream and having the bleeding edge. Python 3 is stable and more and more libraries support it. So I'd like to propose an idea to switch to Python 3 for Fedora 19.

In which a way do you want to switch to python3?
For me, that means any mention of "python" is synonym to "python3",
which leads to the question, what is inside a python-foo package?
The module foo, built for python3?

It would be best to rename all python-foo packages, to python2-foo or
python3-foo and don't allow subpackaging of modules, which provide
multiple python versions. And when that's consistent, we can switch
/usr/bin/python to python3.

So how about a "Renaming of all python packages" feature for F19, and
when that's done, switch to python3. When we are fast enough, maybe
also for F19, but F20 or F21 would be more realistic....

Greetings,
    Tom