Switching to Python 3

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 08:42:02 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'd like to start a discussion about the release where we should
> > switch to Python 3. As I have learned recently, Ubuntu 12.10 will
> > have Python 3 as default [1], which makes me a sad panda :(
> > We always take pride in being close to upstream and having the
> > bleeding edge. Python 3 is stable and more and more libraries
> > support it. So I'd like to propose an idea to switch to Python 3
> > for Fedora 19.
>
> In which a way do you want to switch to python3?
> For me, that means any mention of "python" is synonym to "python3",
> which leads to the question, what is inside a python-foo package?
> The module foo, built for python3?

As you say, switching means /usr/bin/python -> /usr/bin/python3. And yes, that is a very valid point about the naming, I think.

> It would be best to rename all python-foo packages, to python2-foo or
> python3-foo and don't allow subpackaging of modules, which provide
> multiple python versions. And when that's consistent, we can switch
> /usr/bin/python to python3.

I agree about the renaming. Having said that, I don't like that the users will need to install python2-foo or python3-foo, not just python-foo. On the other hand, the normal users will just get stuff and update it. The developers using various versions of python might actually appreciate the knowledge of what they are installing.

> So how about a "Renaming of all python packages" feature for F19, and
> when that's done, switch to python3. When we are fast enough, maybe
> also for F19, but F20 or F21 would be more realistic....

Sounds good to me.

> Greetings,
>     Tom

Regards,