Switching to Python 3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:22:02 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 03:50:56AM -0400, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> [...]
The only distribution that has switched is arch.  When they did there was
a big uproar about how arch was doing something wrong which eventually
resulted in that PEP.

/usr/bin/python is a program that end users depend on being a certain thing
-- it shouldn't be used to set policy.  That would be like us deciding we
wanted to switch the default shell from /bin/bash to /bin/zsh and to
implement that policy we were going to symlink /bin/bash to /bin/zsh.  Users
wanting /bin/bash would need to update their scripts, tools, and practices
to reference /bin/gnu-bash.

-Toshio