Switching to Python 3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 01:04:01 UTC 2012

On 08/06/2012 04:22 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> The only distribution that has switched is arch.  When they did there was
> a big uproar about how arch was doing something wrong which eventually
> resulted in that PEP.

Yeah, we mainly wrote PEP 394 in order to nudge *everyone else* into
providing a /usr/bin/python2 symlink to help deal with Arch making their
bold leap into the unknown (as well as going on record that we think
switching it *right now* is still a bad idea). There's "bleeding edge"
and then there's "tap dancing on razor blades in your bare feet" :P

To be honest, I expect that the long term outcome will be that
"/usr/bin/python" becomes solely the preserve of the OS, with all
cross-platform scripts and applications using "/usr/bin/pythonX",
software collections, or language level virtual environments.