Python 3.3 in Fedora 18

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 02:18:15 UTC 2012

On 07/21/2012 07:53 AM, David Malcolm wrote:
> It's getting close to the Fedora 18 deadline, but Python 3.3 is in
> feature freeze upstream, so I think we ought to try to get it into
> Fedora 18
>
> I've created this feature page for the bump of "python3" from 3.2 to
> 3.3:
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_3.3
>
> I've started work on packaging it.  My plan is to create "python3.3"
> branches of all relevant packages within dist-git, and to test the
> builds to try to sort out the bulk of the issues (scratch build of the
> core python3 src.rpm, and then local builds on a rawhide vm).  Once
> that's done and (hopefully) all the issues are resolved, we can apply
> the changes to "master" and rebuild for real into Koji.  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thoughts?

If you could do this with either trunk or beta 2 (due any day now) that
would be *wonderful* from an upstream point of view. While Brett did
great work with the importlib test suite, feedback on the first beta
highlighted some interesting holes in our test coverage that have been
addressed for beta 2 (mostly relating to the fact that our original
approach of postponing the migration of pkgutil, runpy and inspect to
importlib to 3.4 turned out to be a terrible idea). I still see the
update to a PEP 302 compliant import implementation as the riskiest part
of this release (given the many undefined quirks of the legacy import
implementation), and a successful rebuild of Fedora's Python 3 stack
would go a long way to alleviating that concern. It also means that any
problems you do find can be fixed before the final release.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Infrastructure Engineering & Development, Brisbane