PEP453 // ensurepip // pip

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Fri Mar 21 22:19:49 UTC 2014

Hey there,

So I’m one of the authors of PEP453, the original implementor of ensurepip, and
a pip maintainer. I know that pip (and other language level package managers)
have a sort of love/hate (sometimes more of one or the other!) relationship
with the downstream Linux packagers. I know that PEP453 also puts more focus
on this in general since it's now a recommendation for pip to be installed
if Python is.

So I'd like to say that If there are problems I'd like to help fix them.
Especially if there are problems with pip that make you nervous/upset/sad with
having it tied so closely to Python. Also generally about making less headache
for distros where pip is involved (pip and the OS package manager stomping on
each other etc).

To start off this goal I've filed https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1668 to
figure out how pip can get our defaults to the point where most users will be
installing to ~/.local/ instead of the system location. If there's more things
pip can do I'd love to know about them, or if ensurepip or the PEP453 processes
have something I can help with too :)

Donald Stufft